BlockFi is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Trading Engineering team!
About the Team
The Retail Trading Engineering team is responsible for building and owning functionality and features at the very heart of our clients’ experience; buying, selling, and trading crypto on our platform. The team’s technical stack is TypeScript, React, Elixir (Backend), and Native iOS (Swift)/Android(Kotlin) with services hosted on AWS.
We’re building the core services that power our business and help manage the multi-billion worth of assets. We are pragmatic problem solvers that are excited to tackle some of the most interesting challenges in the Crypto-FinTech arena.
As a Staff Engineer, you will tackle hands-on, high-impact work as we develop a platform built for a global scale. You will act as the technical leader for a team, identify and define problems, design and implement technical solutions and tools, and mentor and teach more junior engineers. We are looking for proactive, collaborative, and adaptive engineers who have real-world distributed systems experience at scale.
- Architect/Design:- Create architecture and formulate design decisions for your services that are aligned with your business vision and meet quality criteria.- Work with diverse stakeholders to ensure our systems are built for availability, reliability, resilience, scalability, performance, and security from the ground up.- Write design proposals and review proposals from other engineers. Ensure tradeoffs are clearly and publicly documented.
- Deliver and Own Solutions:- Responsible for creating and executing plans and designs end to end at a team level: estimating, prototyping, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.- Work with stakeholders to understand and document both functional and quality attribute requirements.- Ensure that teams adhere to quality standards through cross-team communication, mentoring, code review, and backlog grooming.- Accountable for system availability and monitoring system health; ensure alerts, metrics, and runbooks are in place; and debug issues in production.
- Lead:- Technical leader of a team, with significant technical and cultural impact beyond that team.- Guide engineers in focusing on outcomes and carefully considering business goals, tradeoffs, quality attributes, cross-cutting concerns, and risks.- Continuously improve engineering standards, processes, planning, solutions, and efficiency.- Listen to and guide debates to help reach a consensus. Once a decision is made, clearly communicate and support that decision.
- Adapt:- Quickly learn new tools and technologies, develop an understanding of existing systems, and identify and tackle high-impact work.- Proactively seek to learn about the company, products, processes, and culture. Align technical decisions with business goals.
- Technical Breadth as well as Depth in Several Areas:
- 8+ years of industry experience working with, designing, and building distributed systems at scale.
- 2+ years experience with Elixir.
- Experience building and owning business-critical distributed systems running on AWS or GCP or other public clouds.
- Experience with containerized deployments and continuous integration methodologies
- Able to clearly identify, communicate, and document technical tradeoffs, and guides others to do the same.
- Technical Ownership: Experience owning software systems end-to-end, designing, estimating, implementing, testing, maintaining, debugging, and supporting high-quality software in production.
- Communication: Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Able to listen and learn from as well as explain complex ideas to stakeholders of varying levels of technical expertise.
- Collaboration: Demonstrable experience with establishing strong relationships with technical and nontechnical stakeholders, integrating a variety of perspectives (end users, product, engineering, etc.). Empathetic and does the legwork required for building consensus. Always seeks out feedback on technical designs and solutions.
- Initiative and focus on outcomes: Prepared to take on high-impact work across contexts and as the need arises, working independently and taking initiative while maintaining transparency and collaboration. Proactively identifies problems and comes to conversations with possible solutions.
- Adaptive: Ability and motivation to quickly learn new languages, technologies, and tools. Pragmatic bias toward outcomes, and technical decisions that solve real business problems.
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive Compensation because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork