Applied Blockchain is a leading web3 software company. Based in London and Porto (Portugal), Applied Blockchain has an expert team of 90 engineers creating cutting-edge solutions for innovative clients in a range of sectors. Clients include Shell (also an investor in the company), Algorand, Chainlink, and Ledger.
We are building a new generation of decentralised solutions and products, working through some of the most interesting technical problems in this field such as data privacy, identity and wallet management, smart contract design, advanced cryptography (incl. zero knowledge proofs, secure multi party computation and trusted execution environments) and data security.
As the Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading and managing our engineering teams, driving the technical standards and strategy, and ensuring the successful delivery of our software solutions. You will play a crucial role in shaping the way the company delivers technology, collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, and contributing to the overall growth and success of the business
- Establish, disseminate and maintain engineering best practices, processes, and standards.
- Unite technology strategy and implementation across projects.
- Unite tooling, analytics and reporting across projects.
- Unite devops, build and testing across projects.
- Oversee solution architectures and technical designs in projects, ensuring that consistent solutions are delivered meeting all of the non-functional requirements (e.g. security, scalability and performance, maintainability).
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the engineering teams, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Manage and mentor a team of talented engineers, promoting their growth and development.
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and stakeholders to define and prioritise engineering initiatives..
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and advancements, evaluating and implementing new technologies as appropriate.
- Act as a key technical resource, providing guidance and expertise on complex technical issues, drawing on extensive past experience.
- Comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a startup organisation with a rapidly expanding team and customer base.
- Strong technical background managing large engineering teams delivering high quality solutions into demanding production environments.
- Experience setting and implementing technology standards across an engineering organisation.
- Expertise in blockchain technology and decentralised solutions. In-depth knowledge of data privacy, identity management, smart contract design, advanced cryptography, and data security.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills, inspiring and motivating teams to achieve their best.
- Experience with agile methodologies and modern software development practices.
- Experience as a software developer for more than 7 years.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities, with a strategic mindset.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills, fostering cross-functional teamwork.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- High professional integrity, leading by example.
Nice to have
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer on a large scale project
- Experience at a blockchain company
- Azure or AWS Solution Architect certification
- A degree in Computer Science or the equivalent
- London / Porto based
- Work from the office 2-3 days a week
- £1000 annual allowance for training (up to 50% of this value can be used for you to buy workstation equipment to work from home).
- 5 days/per year for training.
- In-person fun team events/team buildings every 3 months (some in Portugal).
- Company laptop (Mac), equipment and onboarding kit.
- Annual Bonus (dependent on company and personal performance).
- Stock Option Plan.
- Your Birthday off.
- Amazing referral programme.