Entrepreneur First (EF) is the world’s first Talent Investor; we invest time and money in outstanding individuals, helping them find a co-founder, develop an idea, and start a technology company from scratch.
Across our programs in Europe and Asia, to date, we have helped over 3000 individuals build more than 500 companies, with a total valuation of $10 billion. EF alumni companies include Tractable (a computer vision unicorn), Cleo, Omnipresent, Aztec Protocol, Voltz, and many more.
EF is backed by some of the world's best tech founders and company builders, including Patrick and John Collison (Stripe); Reid Hoffman (LinkedIn), Demis Hassabis (DeepMind); Tom Blomfield (GoCardless and Monzo), Sara Clemens (Pandora and Twitch); Nat Friedman (GitHub); and Matt Mullenweg (WordPress)
Why join EF as a Advisor?
- You will work closely with, and shape the futures of, some of the most promising founders in the world at their moment of maximum potential. Specifically, you will be a part of the co-creation of every business you mentor, helping the founders with literally their very first baby steps
- You will have the opportunity to build relationships leading to early-stage investment opportunities in the companies with which you work. These opportunities will allow you to co-invest with some of the world’s best investors
- You will share many years of learning from other Advisors and from EF as a whole around the art of identifying potentially great businesses when they are little more than two individuals and a half-formed vision
Who are you?
- You are excited and curious to learn how to be a Talent Investor. We’ve spent over ten years developing our proprietary teambuilding and ideation methodology. As an Advisor, you will become an expert in, and advocate for, our methodology.
- You are a team player. Although the Advisor role is part-time (1-8 hours a week), we are looking for individuals who want to be part of building EF as an institution alongside the local and global team.
- You are an ex-founder (CEO/CPO/highly commercial CTO) or early employee of a fast-growth tech company that has raised Series A+ and reached significant value.
- You have a significant (5+) portfolio of angel investments or you have developed a mental database of different successful startup experiences other than your own through other means. Through this activity, you have developed a strong network within your investment ecosystem.
- You believe deeply in the power of constructive feedback. You embrace fierce conversations and do not shy away from pressure testing.
- You are highly commercial. You can generate and challenge business models, and understand the end-to-end fundraising process. You are technically conversant.
- You are deeply interested in multiple areas of technology and can demonstrate how you have built knowledge in these areas
NB: If you don’t have all the experience outlined above, but have built a similar skill-set through other means, we’re still eager to hear from you.
What you'll do:
You will work with, and be responsible for, a selection of teams formed at EF from inception through to seed funding. You will enable your teams to achieve market-beating funding outcomes. Most of the activities you are involved in will be directly related to that. These include:
- Pressure test ideas - being a thought partner and coach for your teams, while pushing them towards the most ambitious version of what they can build
- Pressure test the co-founder dynamic of a team - help them define and understand their respective roles and relationship
- Guide founders through fundraising, including refining narrative, back-channeling with investors, reviewing and helping negotiate term sheets and legals
- Connect your teams with relevant advisors and customers to help them find product-market fit and demonstrate tractionWhile all these activities are an important part of your role, this is an approximate priority ordering, with the items at the top of the list absorbing most of your time and focus.